Quilting, stitching, crocheting

Welcome

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Earthquake

Living in San Diego, CA we are very accustom to the rumblings and shakings of the earth's tremors.  But Sunday we experienced a whole lot more than tremors.  I am used to hearing the rattle of our armoire doors when we have tremors, but then my bed began to shake... A LOT .... I knew I didn't have a vibrating bed! I jumped up to find the floor shaking and the rumbling sound of a train passing by .... only there are no train tracks near our house! I called for my husband and ran into the living room to find our large entertainment center swaying .... very much more than slightly.  It went on for what seemed a very long time .... for sure longer than a tremor.

All very scary. My husband had been outside where the ground was rolling & moving so hard he needed to grab something to keep from falling. He looked up and saw the telephone poles & trees swaying. Very freaky !!

Quickly we knew it was a significant quake and I became immediately concerned as to where the epicenter was. Usually it is in the desert or south into Mexico. My daughter and her family were vacationing in Baja with 2 other families.  After frantic search on TV and the Internet I found that the epicenter was in Baja and immediately began to worry about them .... as only a mother can do.  With my heart pounding, I notified all that I could, that they needed urgent prayer.

There was no way to contact them.  Even on a good day phone and internet reception is spotty in Mexico.  I tried to keep myself busy sewing but after sewing the wrong pieces of the quilt together, I decided I needed to do something else to occupy myself. After about 2 or 3 hours, I got a call .....

Everyone was safe!!!  They were on the water of the lake when the earthquake hit.  The water was roiling and hissing and she told me she looked up and saw the mountains move !!  Amazing !!  The home of their friends was trashed & uninhabitable, the roads impassable, and their car in a small sink hole ... but all of them were safe.  They were putting all the mattresses from the house on the boat dock and sleeping outside over the water. The aftershocks were frequent and very strong.

Getting home looked like it was going to take days but they got home late last night.  Hallelujah!!!  That is enough adventure for a while for everyone !!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Joanne! I am so thankful that the LORD kept them safe and got them home safe!!! What a story they will have to tell! I am also thank you and DH are okay also! I can't imagine, and don't want to. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how scary for you! Thank God all is well. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne,
    Thank you for your visit today and for your sweet comment. It made my day. I think you and I will get along fine..I love fabrics and quilting as well..and have more fabric than a small shop and love every bit of it..just can't resist pretty fabric. I've been reading through your blog and have enjoyed it a lot...I will be back to look more and can't wait to see what project you start next. (I also have unfinished projects..but that's ok).
    I've become a follower of your pretty blog... and will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, Check out this blog...wonderful pinwheel tutorial!
    http://quiltfrenzy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your message